Danny Klein- Blog

Mirra and I drove across the border from Wisconsin to Minnesota this evening blasting “Sabotage” by the Beastie Boys on the stereo.  I think I’ll always remember that moment.  I’m not sure why such a high octane song was appropriate for our return home.  Perhaps it just felt good to depart from the sadness we had been feeling over the last couple days. Driving NorthWest, we realized that our trip was coming to an end.  Something we had first been dreaming about, then fundraising for, then planning, then spending every waking moment engaged in — was about to be over.  And so we had been driving and reminiscing, re-living the last 6 months…and as we came into Minnesota with music blaring, I had that good feeling of WE DID IT!  But not without a few mishaps: one broken car window, one phone dropped in a cup of wine, one thrown out back, one event where no one showed up, one missing hiking boot, and only four or five bouts of sea sickness for Mirra… we did pretty well.

With all that luck, I asked Mirra what was the high point of the trip, and she said something that rung true for me as well.  She said the two highlights were Catfish noodling in Mississippi and Farming with the Apostolic family in Ohio.  These two families lived such different lives from our own (and from each other) yet we were really able to connect, and share and become part of their lives for a few days. They even became our friends.  Our preconceived notions were wiped away and a new point of view developed with the friendship.  We had spent a couple nights at the homes of both these families — not something we could do with every story, and certainly not something that every American can or will do in order to get to know where their food comes from. But this relationship made me hope that through the videos we produce, perhaps we were able to shed a little light into the lives of these food producers across America, and draw a closer connection to our viewers… something more like a friendship.

And so we are back in Minnesota.  It’s cold as hell but we have a lot to do.  There are still months of videos from the road to be released.  Plans for a cookbook, perhaps TV.  And after just having taken the trip of a lifetime, we have to start making plans for the next one.

Thank you for your support, this trip wouldn’t have been possible with out you.  Keep watching and Enjoy the rest of the journey.

21 responses to “Home.”

1. Thank you for sharing this journey with us!

2. Applecheek Farm says:

Congratulations, like you said “You did it” I really have been following your trip and I want to thank you for such wonderful adventures. I really enjoyed the episode with the  family in Ohio as well, very inspiring. Take care and blessings.

3. Rbhafey says:

Welcome home! A job well done. I look forward to the unfolding and reveal of your life’s food journey.

4. Stephanie Meyer says:

Welcome home.

5. Marisocean says:

Welcome back!  I have so enjoyed your journey and look forward to more gems from your adventures, connections with the people and the food- I so appreciate how this journey was shared in so many ways.

6. Mary from Eden NY says:

You DID IT!! and Im glad you are back home safe and sound. Thank -you for sharing with all of us. I am looking forward to seeing more of your adventures. Certainly we are all more informed and also have been entertained. Wishing you the best in whatever you decide to do next.

7. Robin says:

WElcome home and thank you for all the wonderful adventures and information that you both shared.  Looking forward to the rest of the story.

8. Flood says:

Nice work you two. You make the world a better place.

9. My favorite episode so far is with that Apostolic Ohioan family as well! They were so crazy with the loving doing the chores.

Glad you’re back and can now settle in.

10. Angus Mcgillivray says:

I don’t get motion sickness but I heard that eating a few pieces of candied ginger will help. Worth a try and a nice little snack to boot. Thank you for sharing your travels. Thanks to Mirra for all her hard work.

11. Kevin says:

I have enjoyed every minute. I can’t believe you had a no show. If i was in Minnesota I’d be at every meal, well a lot of them any how. Especially your pickled items and anything veggie.

12. Vicki Yeager says:

The Ohio family episode was my favorite also.  I had tears running down my face as I viewed their enthusiasm for hard work, and their love for each other stream across the internet.  Their inherent curiosity and acceptance of Daniel and Mirra was a testament to their values.  Thank you both for your curiosity, hard work,values, and love.  You two are a great team and welcome home!

13. Lisa Anthony says:

thank you for taking us along.

14. Daniel and Mirra, I cannot thank you enough for the hard work that you have put into making this great journey across the country and taking us along for the ride. I literally check the Facebook page twice a week, waiting for a new episode and find myself re-watching year 1. Its been an amazing journey and I hope to meet you guys in person sometime (my cousins live in MN). I would fully support your cookbook and TV, but only if it wasn’t all flashy and TV-studio like. I love the quality and feel you get from the videos because everything seems more real and more connected rather than contrived from a studio with makeup, touch-ups, bright lighting, etc. Just my two cents. Keep up the great work!

15. Welcome home! 😉 It was great seeing you Monday at The Strip Club. I’ll be eagerly waiting to see what the next step is for you.

16. Mary Gerush says:

You two have inspired me to learn more about my food and farms. Your videos are priceless. I can’t wait to see more. Welcome home!

17. Leichefmike says:

Great job you two, I am very proud of all you have accomplished. Maybe next trip will bring you to the islands. Aloha oi.
    Love uncle Mike

18. DormRoomDinner says:

Great job you guys! Really enjoyed watching the trip and can’t wait to see what comes next!

19. Curlywoman says:

That is a nice article in Food and Wine. I enjoy the videos and the variety. I know I can always go to Perennial Plate and enjoy more food adventures. Thank you both.

20. Juice says:

It just proves that friends don’t have to be just like us.

21. Marina says:

I love this blog! Thank you so much for the great information and artful/thoughtful presentation.