Episode 87: Animal Sanctuary

We’ve made films about hunting pigs and squirrels, about fishing for trout and diving for sea urchin, and we’ve seen the farming of many different types of animals for food.  This episode is about NOT eating meat.  At “farms” across the country, some very compassionate people are providing a sanctuary for animals to live out their lives without fear of being eaten.  At Star Gazing Farm in Maryland, we filmed one shining example.

18 responses to “Episode 87: Animal Sanctuary”

1. Gaby987123 says:

Very moving episode, thanks guys

2. Thegoodcook says:

I think I love this woman and her mission!

3. Kategoldwater says:

What a wonderful woman and project. I’m tearing up. And Mirra- you’re the sweetest.

4. sewassbe says:

What a wonderful person and a wonderful mission, spending her energy saving and caring for animals instead of evangelizing. Beautifully shot. That horse is gorgeous!

5. Austin says:

Brilliant.  I really enjoyed Mira being the point person on an episode that was obviously more in her realm.  I agree with the farmers views on animal rights groups, as I’m vegetarian and I think PETA does far more harm to any chance of changing peoples minds about animal consumption than good.

6. Lori says:

I love this and only reinforces my veganism! Thanks for sharing.

7. JDKIowa says:

Either this lady is very short or that cow if fricking huge.

8. Jonas Goslow says:

Hey Guys!  You continue to do amazing work!  So great to see Mira lead an episode as well..

9. What a great, warm presentation!

10. Kristina says:

fyi- the Star Gazing Farm is actually in Maryland, in Montgomery County’s Ag Reserve. Its the most successful farmland protection effort in the country and located only 30 minutes outside of DC. Learn more here: http://www.mocoalliance.org

11. […] through town on their national tour and visited Farmer Anne  at Star Gazing Farm in the Reserve.  See the video here. fyi- although the description says Virginia- this farm is very much in the MoCo Ag Reserve, a look […]

12. Foody2 and Oliver says:

Thank you for this story. This felt like a filming of a female Noah, caring for all these animals. What a tender bond she has created with them. I especially appreciate that she puts so much thought into her decision before taking an animal-when she has a choice; her not wanting to proselytize; and her caring with such an open, gentle heart.

13. Anonymous says:

Thank you so much.  I

14. Zamabam says:

Thanks for sharing! Can you give us information about the music that is played during this video? I’d like to check out the bands further…

15. Frank says:

I love this episode.

16. Cakewmn says:

Seen a cow up close recently JDKIowa?

17. Kimberley says:

I really appreciate her approach to vegetarianism – that it’s a personal choice and nobody’s place to evangelize. It’s too bad she feels that she needs to defend her choice to not preach, because she’s so much more gracious and tolerant for approaching it that way. I also love the idea that every animal needs a purpose – I take it for granted that humans need a purpose in life, but hadn’t considered that for an animal. Another gem, you two.