Episode 108: The Traveler’s Republic of Tofu

The next country on our world tour came with preconceived notions.  Before we left, everyone had something to say about China.  Most of them were wrong.  China is amazing (to the tourist at least).  Intrepid Travel brought us to Beijing, Yunnan and Hong Kong, eating lots of MSG and unidentifiable foods.  If you want the experience without the heartburn, take the journey with us in 3 short minutes.

23 responses to “Episode 108: The Traveler’s Republic of Tofu”

1. Picasso says:

Wow! bellisimo! and you had a Wong Kar-wai as a guide! :- )

how many amazing colors, faces, smells and stories.

take care!

2. maryq says:

That is a lot…And yet I wanted more! Wowee.

3. Teresan says:

I wonder if that dog was for eating or if it was someone’s pet…

• Erik Schmitz says:

I thought the same thing, but I imagine the dog was a pet. Pets have become very popular in China. They were illegal during the cultural revolution.

• Guest says:

Thank goodness it was wearing a harness, or I might have wondered the same thing! This video is amazing–how do I slow it down to six minutes or so? <3

4. Can’t wait to see more! (and hey, thanks for coming back to MN to vote! =)

5. Finn says:

On the trail of the elusive German Hip-Hop Artists of Schezwan…

6. Josh says:

Great job guys, loved it!

7. wow!my head is spining,every take should be made into its own show.this all looks fantastic.and daniel,what is in that moving bag?

8. trl123 says:

Salivating for more:)

9. WOOOOOO what a ride!!!!! Fantastic! I am fanning myself… that ending! I am getting back on….

10. HOMEGROWN.org says:

You really are such a gifted filmmaker. Thank you!

11. rob says:

Nice show!!
    But watch out for your girl!
    Shes getting thinner and thinner! oO
    I suppose you should go more for the tofu and vegetables! 😀

12. Hi, I found your videos totally amazing! How did you find out all these places and persuade them to let you film them? I am from China and lived in Japan as well, but I have not been to the places you filmed. You are discovering interesting things about these two countries that I even did not noticed. Thank you!

13. Naomi Williams says:

What a great show! You guys blow No Reservations out of the water. (I don’t have to put up with Bourdain’s ego.) I’ve been working my way through your archives the past few days; my favorite episode so far is Mushroom Music.

• Come on now.. No Reservations is a great show in its own right. Totally different purpouse for what Bourdain is trying to provide to his viewers.

The work that Daniel and his wife are doing is fantastic!
      But there is no need to rip on other quality work, simply because you see an opening and feel like it. 😉

14. in china says:

Hi, is there any other way to watch the video? I’m in China and Vimeo is blocked…

15. Erik Schmitz says:

I lived in China for eight months. This video brought back so many memories of the sights and sounds … oh, & also of dumbstruck children wondering what I was pointing at them (my camera!).

16. Stephen says:

That shot with the pig and cow coming through the dark doorway was amazing…and then the last shot of the jaw-dropped, staring girl was hilarious and a great end. This is one of my favorite videos of all time…you guys really did a great job eating across China.