Here is the recipe from Episode 42 – it is extremely rich, but quite delicious. I recommend a light chicken stock to not overpower the trout flavor.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup diced guanciale (or pancetta)
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 small rainbow trout
- 1 smoked trout, cut into bite size pieces
- 1lb sunchokes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups stock (vegetable, chicken, turkey or fish)
- 1/4 cup wild rice (hand harvested)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced marjoram
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- While preparing other ingredients, cook wild rice in 1 cup of water
and a little salt until cooked through. Pour off excess water if
- Put guanciale in pan with water to cover. Let simmer until water
dissolves and fat renders out. Cook until guanciale turns brown and
crispy. Remove guanciale to a paper towel and reserve for later.
- Add butter to the rendered fat from the guanciale. Sautee the onion
with a little salt until translucent. Add the diced sunchokes and
cook for 5 minutes, then add the herbs and saute for 2 more minutes.
Add the stock as well as any fish head or bones you may have and
simmer until the sunchokes are cooked through (no more than 10
minutes). Taste the broth and season accordingly.
- Place the trout in the hot broth followed by the smoked trout. As
the fish cooks it will break apart. Heat the trout until just cooked,
add the cream and bring the liquid to a light simmer.
- Serve in a bowl with the crispy guanciale on top. Perhaps some
crusty multi grain bread on the side.