Episode 112: A Day in India

It’s hard to put your camera down in India.  With so much beauty and filth, food and poverty, happiness and stress: its an overwhelming (and wonderful) place to film.  We came back exhausted, full and still overwhelmed (this time with the task of editing all the footage into a short video). Because India is a big place, and each area varies dramatically,  we attempted to construct a day across India: from north to south, from dawn till dusk.  *special thanks to Intrepid Travel for making it possible.

86 responses to “Episode 112: A Day in India”

1. Steve Anderson says:

Just beautiful, like all your work. It definitely makes me want to go to India. How long till we see some recipes from the trip? Your video made me hungry, but not for hamburger or steak.

2. Jean Bury says:

I heard the interview you gave on public radio. It was disheartening to hear that many farmers in India have commited suicide since Monsanto came to the country and the farmers could not afford to buy the hybrid seed. I was glad to hear some people there are uprising to this tragic stituation by continuing saving their hertiage seeds. This is of upmost importance world wide. Thank you for all the work you are doing.

3. Patty Hammarstedt says:

A visual feast that makes me hungry as well – Patty Hammarstedt

4. carpe season says:

Beautiful work. I love the energy and pacing. What tool do you use to work with the typography? After Effects?

5. I love that you kept it real! Missing home after seeing this video :)

6. Manasi says:

Mumbai meri jaan! Thank you for giving me glimpses of what I miss everyday.

7. Prerna Singh says:

What a beautiful job you did editing the video. Too bad I stumbled upon this video floating on my the world wide web because now I cannot stop browsing your website and its Monday so I am “supposed” to work! Great job! :-)

• danielpklein says:

Thanks! also, we’d really like it to reach an audience in India. you write Indian cookbooks right? Spread the word. Thanks!

8. moiwalkabout says:

I love India and I LOVE your video–absolutely incredible and simply stunning! Thank you so much!

9. Roxy Lerner says:

What a lovely video. The sights, the sounds, the music. I felt like I was there with you. Nice job! RoxY

10. Alpana Rana ( Smart-snacks) says:

Incredible India captured so well……I am going to show this video at one of Indian Cooking Classes…….Is that ok????

11. Ed Chiles says:

Beautifully done! Need to get you both back to Anna Maria for a little R and R when it works for you.

12. Mary Q says:

What an incredible collection of images. Well done. I felt like I could even smell things! That was an amazing 4 minutes.Thank you!

13. Love this video. I linked it everywhere I could. Even sent it to my husband & college kid who prides himself on being 1/2 Indian. Brilliantly done! We know editing is a tedious job but what a spectacle. You captured India so well.

14. Aubrey says:

damn that was cute

15. Ann says:

Fabulous job showcasing India! I too love to travel there and always come away “full” from sensory saturation. I love your series… can’t wait for the next destination!

16. yaelgrauer says:

This is quite stunning.

17. LOVE this! Great job you two! :)

18. I haven’t been in India for decades, but this video brought it all back – the magic of it that is. Congratulations!

19. Aditya says:

Writing to you from India! Firstly hope you had a good time here and secondly amazing editing and a great video :)

20. Great shots of India – makes me want to book my ticket. Quick question, I was a bit confused on the music cuts and why you did not use Indian influenced music throughout.

21. Isaac says:

Thanks for the wonderful video. It makes me want to gO back tomorrow. I remember meeting you all at Chai Pani in Asheville, NC. I recal that meeting fondly and am glad you got to go to the motherland!

22. Rekha says:

Brilliant work!! The music and energy truly capture the spirit of India and of course the food! I am longing for a “cutting” chai now! :) Keep it up guys! Your series rocks!!

23. The growing sophistication of your film making is astonishing. Yet you still manage the same personal connectedness with your audience that you had in episode 1! Bravo!

24. Jessica Wright says:

Great video! What kind of camera do you use?

25. Ardee says:

This is pretty cool you guys! Though theres sooo much in India that you’ve managed to capture only a tiny fraction of the sheer variety- the people, the cultures, the languages, and off course the food, vary with every town you cross, every state you walk into, across the length and breadth of this majestic country :)

26. rajaram101 says:

great video. tho i’d like to know… which track did you guys use @ 1:58-2:38? :~)

27. White Bird Wellness says:

Four years ago almost to the day I almost bought a ticket to India. Instead, life wanted me to fall in love and I didn’t. This is a fantastic teaser of what is still waiting for me. Well done!

28. AB says:

Made my day this Sunday! Lovely video…curious, what soundtrack did you use around :22 to 1:33

29. Silk Mandel says:

That was amazingly awesome!

30. […] “A Day in India” is a short film that abridges three weeks of travel, eating, and filming in India into one imaginary day. The film was created by Daniel Klein and Mirra Fine for their food documentary series, The Perennial Plate. It’s hard to put your camera down in India. With so much beauty and filth, food and poverty, happiness and stress: its an overwhelming (and wonderful) place to film. We came back exhausted, full and still overwhelmed (this time with the task of editing all the footage into a short video). Because India is a big place, and each area varies dramatically, we attempted to construct a day across India: from north to south, from dawn till dusk. […]

31. This is the most effective India Tourism ad I’ve ever seen – makes you want to go NOW.

32. NicoleKash says:

It’s amazing how you managed to capture so much of India’s character in only 3 minutes and 42 seconds. Beautiful video. Also, it made me very hungry for all the amazing things I ate in India. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MF4rmxfWmQ

33. carts says:

wow, i desperately need to tell you guys just how much i enjoy and admire your work!!!
    it’s not only the beauty of the images, the deepness of the stories told, the sensibility of your approach (and yes, a whole lot of regret that it’s not me taking these trips, meeting these folks and eating those foods!), but your videos are also just so amazingly well crafted! the cut is spot-on, with outstandingly well selected music (where do you even find all that great stuff!?) and so much is embraced and captured in so little time without being shallow. exceptional and great work, it is highly appreciated!!
    (must be a pain though, editing through GBs of video instead of lazing away in the tropical sun, hehe)

34. […] Plate’s recent video on a day in India does a pretty spot-on job of capturing the sense of the […]

35. just visited India this past month, video makes me want to again soon! take me with you next time? (:

36. debrasev says:

Such lovely work and you guys are so lucky (as no doubt you know!) to be able to travel and do this stuff. Nothing short of an amazing job, for sure! India looks so interesting–I will definitely go sometime. Did you enjoy eating there, by the way? How does eating there compare to your experience eating in other countries?

37. Stunning vibrant inspiring… Can’t wait for my own experience!

38. Dan says:

Makes me want to go again! Isn’t India amazing? Isn’t the food just AMAZING????? It’s such a rich country in all the ways that matter.

39. Daniel & Mirra – this is truly amazing. Meeting you guys on the road was a real priviledge and I hope our paths will cross on the road again

40. CHEFZ says:

awesome video guys, cant wait to watch more. found you guys through the food wishes with chef john.

41. Andrew says:

theres a different version of this, found it on the awesome, wanted to know the song @ :22 to 1:30, awesome video, have only recently opened my taste for indian cuisine, glad I did I love it, would love to visit someday. Great vid!

42. Moni says:

Hello Daniel and Mirra,

I haven’t been to India in over 7 years and have resisted family requests to do so but in the last year or so i’ve been longing to go back. This video you have made is absolutely breathtaking and beautiful – the perfect glimpse of India. I just showed this video to my partner and we are now planning a trip to India for the fall.

Thank you so much. Keep doing what you’re doing – you are both a breath of fresh air to the world of food and video blogging.

Moni

43. preeti says:

This made me so homesick. Today, is the 35th anniversary of the day I arrived in the US!!

44. Jess says:

Hi, I was wondering if this film is from doing Intrepid’s food tour of India? Thanks :)

45. Dylan Haskin says:

Where in India is this shot?

46. Dina says:

Just shared with Miya and Sharad, Sami & Shereen and loved it.
    D

47. Manasvini Ravishankar (Shriya) says:

Can you guys please please tell me the song at 0:22. I know one version has Cornershop, “United Provinces of India”, but I’d like to know what song is played in the uploaded here. :) I love this video!!