Episode 106: For Udon and Country

We fell in love with Shimizu San.  It occurs from time to time when filming stories.  It happened to Mirra first, shortly after they met.  Maybe it was the fact that he let her stomp on the Udon noodles  or when he invited us to play music and dance with his friends.  It hit Daniel while he was editing, hearing the beautiful story of a man who was defying the negatives of globalization through farming good ingredients and making good noodles.   We think you will fall in love too.  Enjoy!  Special Thanks to Intrepid Travel.

18 responses to “Episode 106: For Udon and Country”

1. Santiago says:

i fell in love with his philosophy too. keep doing this magic. take care.

2. Shelagh says:

What a lovely, lovely man. Oh how I wish we could all step into this calm .

3. Beautiful video & a very, very wise man… Awesome!

4. That was beautiful. Thank you.

5. Insightful how preserving the earth’s diversity relies on individual pride and care for one’s own community and traditions. Beautifully done.

6. Randy Ifi says:

Amazing person and great passion for food!

7. Rob Hodges says:

Superb piece. Went to Japan with my wife last year and found it the most amazing sensory experience. Just makes me want to go back and do it all again.

8. Angela Sze says:

Mirra and Daniel! What an amazing story! I can see why you would fall in love with this wise man! Thanks for sharing 🙂

9. I cannot tell you how much this video made me long for the superb simple beauty of a Japanese noodle dish.

10. Ellie Guttman says:

I,too, have fallen in love. With a local udon street vendor and this movie makes me want some right now! I love the simple flavors of japanese cuisine and hope to one day make trip like yours!

11. Jennifer Lindahl says:

Beautiful!

12. Soos says:

He said the word. It is “kokoro” – heart

13. Peterw619 says:

Very cool! Great video! Reminded me of the documentatry “Jiro Dreams of Sushi”.

14. Guest says:

cool & cute !!!

15. tomotadara says:

From Tokyo Station, it is a train and they are 1 hour and about 20 minutes. It opens from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. It is a rest on Tuesday every week. Those of after and agricultural work with a non-regular holiday. Latitude longitude information 35.733589,139.230904

16. David Iwaasa says:

Interesting thing is that the vast majority of the udon made in Japan is made from Australian wheat. In fact, only a very small proportion of the udon in Japan comes from Japanese wheat. The other useful fact is that the majority of the good quality bread made in Japan is made from Canadian wheat. We grow probably the very best bread and pasta wheat in the world here in Canada.

17. marygerush says:

This is magical. Thank you.