Episode 113: Two Options

There has been a lot written about GMOs, pesticides, organic etc. to the point that it’s easy to lose touch with how these issues actually impact people’s lives.  On our recent trip to India, we got a wake up call from environmental activist Dr. Vandana Shiva on the reality of these issues and how they can impact farmers to the point of suicide.  Watch this video to learn the message of Dr. Shiva and the seed saving solution that she and her partner Bija Devi are manifesting in rural India.  Special Thanks to Intrepid Travel.

30 responses to “Episode 113: Two Options”

1. the most powerful piece you have ever made, and you made many.

“All the seeds keepers are women”, the best metaphor. As you said we have two options, to respect nature and leave some of what we found on it to our children’s or not.

2. Tinyplots says:

Santiago, you said it. This one is an absolute force. Thank you for raising the pedestal of woman farmers and their keystone roles in the future of families, nutrition and traditional knowledge.

3. sarah says:

“In a gentle way you can shake the world” Mahatma Gandi
    How did we stray so far! You should take this to TED.com

4. debrasev says:

You sweet, gentle, lovely giving woman–you rock everyone’s world!!!!!

5. Absolutely beautiful and so grateful you made this piece!!! What Monsanto has done in the US is bad enough, but what it is doing abroad, and particularly in India, is criminal. Adding in the angle of these women and their efforts to save the seeds elevates the piece even higher. Viva!

6. Greg says:

MIND. BLOWN. So very well done. I especially like how you’ve linked ground-level stories to an issue that unfortunately tends to live at the 10,000 foot view. People need to understand that this isn’t mere philosophical discussion — it truly affects people on the granular level, and not just in the developing world. Thanks for telling this story in a beautiful, direct way!

7. spiralgal says:

What an important film! People don’t realize what is happening around the world with farming and corporations like Monsanto. What a lovely and potent way to present not only the disturbing truth, but the beauty of farming, activism, India, and women. It gets to the root of the issue. Thanks so much

8. Beautifully told! Dr Shiva’s story of farmers indebted to seed companies sounds remarkably similar to Grapes of Wrath.

9. ltcookies says:

I have just been wowed. And that’s not something I’d take lightly considering I’ve watched every episode you’ve ever produced. But seriously…wow. Can’t wait to watch the one that tops this.

10. danielpklein says:

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful comments. its an important message that Vandana and Bija are preaching.

11. L says:

Thank you, thank you, a million times thank you. It’s a crusade many of us are on, & it needs to be spread. & who better to relate the message than the authority herself. Kudos.

12. Tanya says:

She is brilliant. Your filming and editing are so beautiful. Thank you for this succinct yet poetic

13. camille says:

Very well done. Thanks. I also loved the variation on the Bhel Puri recipe.

14. Todd Jones says:

The story of these farmer suicides is tragic, and Vandana Shiva’s work with Navdanya is important, but I think it’s important for all of us to remember that this video represents a single perspective. India’s agricultural economy is affected by more than a single corporate giant. Farmers the world over must cope with drought, flood, market fluctuations and government intervention. I’m not suggesting that Monsanto is entirely innocent, but I don’t think that characterizing Monsanto as an evil villain does anybody any good. I love the passion with which her story is told, but I know there’s more to it than this.

15. Taylor says:

This video perfectly represents what this entire series is all about…really well done, definitely one of your best to date.

16. Excellent…another great one and near the top of my favorites..bravo to you both.

17. sy says:

Amazing work guys, keep it up please! I look forward to every episode, I’m surprised you are not yet featured nationally… I guess our consumerist culture can’t handle it yet..

18. Roxy Lerner says:

Thanks Daniel and Mirra, excellent video!

19. This is beautiful, sad and encouraging all in one. Thank you for working so hard to bring this to us.

20. Bob Bielefeld says:

Wow!. Thank you for so clearly and compassionately speaking the truth. Your positive action in saving the seeds fills me with with hope.

21. Parisbreakfast says:

Thank you, thank you for this very Importent message beautifully made and expressed. Deeply touching for all of us.

22. susan nimmo says:

The history surrounding the suicides of farmers in India is a bit confusing but still quite shocking. They averaged 17,000 farmer suicides a year and they went on in that way for several years before some improvement was seen in the new century. Women must be relied upon as she states and it is likely due to a lack of males left to farm capably. this take over of the land through repossession of property is a criminal act. It is so sad to see that people are viewed as expendable by the ones who have power on earth. We must be in solidarity with these women. They are surely the lifeblood for their future now.

23. jenn says:

Actually, Monsanto is not being “characterized” as an evil villain. Dramatics aside, all one needs to do is look at the facts, and know that you cannot break the Law of Nature. Oh, man and Monsanto has the power to do so, but is with great consequences which will inevitably be further seen if they are not stopped. We are OF Nature, not separate from it.

24. Anastasia Zolotarev says:

I love this video. I have watched it repeatedly since I first saw it last year. It is so important to put this information out into the public. Only a small part of the complex world we live in but this video does reflect the major problem and I think It is one of your best films.