Episode 44: Bunnies – Part one: The Farm

People either love rabbits or they hate them.  If its a love thing, its probably because they are so cute and innocent.  If the story is hate, its may be because they ate everything in the garden this past summer.   No matter where you stand, their meat is tasty (and quite sustainable).  This week I visited Marshall Farm where Scott and his family just finished their first year of raising bunnies.  Check out the first in this two part series here, next week will have a recipe for rabbit.

Oh yeah, this episode is all happy bunnies except for the last minute or so… you’ve been WARNED

16 responses to “Episode 44: Bunnies – Part one: The Farm”

1. Is the liver edible? The kidneys & heart even? I was also wondering if there was a market for the pelts.

2. Daniel Klein says:

The liver, kidneys and heart are all edible. But apparently there is no market for the pelts, or at least this farmer hadn't found one. All fur comes from china apparently. Would probably be worth finding a small scale tanner.

3. Phil says:

Just found this website and am hooked!! Keep up the amazing work!

4. Daniel Klein says:

THanks Phil, glad you are liking it!

5. Jan says:

Commercial marketing furs is tough – finding direct market opportunities would be better. Appreciate the positive coverage of rabbits as meat!

6. Kevin says:

A classic episode, and an important food item in my mind. I've read that back-yard rabbits beats back-yard chickens when it comes to meat production. Also, for a 'sustainable' or at least more readily self-producible meat, it's got a mass-appeal flavor profile and texture, I think – as opposed to asking folks to put back something funky or gamey.

7. Steve says:

Recently introduced 2 friends to Rabbit on a trip to Detroit of all places, Cafe Muse, excellent food all around.

8. Steve says:

According to the amazing Stephen Fry (check out QI) “If you eat only Rabbit you will die.” Rabbit does contain proteins but does not contain anything else the body would need to survive, i.e. Vitamins, Fat: Therefore eating only Rabbit will kill you!

9. Ahrengrebner says:

i live in the area and am looking for information on how to get a hold of the farmer

10. […] I grew curious about how rabbit actually tasted. (Word of warning: the last minute or so of the Perennial Plate’s bunny episode does show a rabbit being slaughtered, so do not click if you are faint of heart.) If I could eat […]

11. […] others of his kind, the future looks, well, not so cute. Word of warning: the last couple minutes of that video are graphic. But I couldn’t tear my […]

12. Lesley Anne Kinney says:

More food raised in cages, disgusting!

13. Magdalena says:

SO CRUEL!

14. Leafy1 says:

I regularly shoot rabbits as they are vermin here in the UK and my butcher can’t get enough of them……………they are still very popular to eat.A good rabbit stew on a cold winters evening is perfect.