Episode 54: To Catch a Frog

I want to remind you that The Perennial Plate is about sustainable and ADVENTUROUS food. Such is the case this week with catching, killing and eating Arkansas frogs. I’ve always been a fan of frog legs, but I’ve never had anything close to as delicious as these very fresh legs. The whole process of meeting some strangers in the middle of the night to go out frogging in some Arkansas backwaters was intimidating… but most folks are good folks and Nic and Hunter were no exception.  NOTE: as with any food, know your source, frog’s are not a guilt free sustainable food, for more info visit: www.savethefrogs.com

Featured Blog Entry:Shame Shame

48 responses to “Episode 54: To Catch a Frog”

1. Info says:

well done on the face of our Vegi girl

2. Mark Johnson says:

Interesting & delicious! Looks like I’ll have to check into a frog hunt in the future.

3. Thegoodcook says:

You can buy nice plump frogs in China Town, NY – but somehow the hunting I bet makes them taste better!

4.  You’re killing it dude!

5. Amy says:

Poor Mirra!! For once I really sympathize with you. The frog head banging was a bit much even for a carnivore like me. I think those boys could find a better way to dispatch those frogs.

6. Willowbendgarden says:

OK, Daniel, I met you when you were preparing a couple of lovely veggie mushroom dishes in Fayetteville. We loved the Sweden Creek Mushrooms.  This episode is just way too ‘wacked’ for my liking.  I am w/ Mirra…should have had more clips of her face while you were offing that poor frog. But I will still be looking for the episodes I can turn my vegan friends on to.
    Peace and courage,
    Shari

7. Anonymous says:

A little research on google seems to indicate that the swift blow to the head is the most painless way to kill a frog, if you want to eat it. A bit like killing a fish. This is all part of eating meat, imho.

8. Murray says:

Your quote summed it all up. Keep up the good work and thank you for this blog!

9. Rachel Wilson says:

Serious adventure! This is a great episode. Entertaining and well put together, keep it up you guys!

10. disappointed says:

since when is smacking frog brains on the side of a boat worth the laughter?  Cruel.  Unjustifiable

• Anonymous says:

I wasn’t laughing at the dead frog, but rather the strange situation that I found myself in.  backwoods AR, guts on my face, middle of the night.  can see how you could see it otherwise though.

11. John Deer says:

Daniel, can you tell us where in Arkansas?  I’m from the North East Arkansas area and grew up doin the same thing.  That’s my people! Keep up the great work and don’t worry about the critics.

12. Anon2007 says:

Did anyone read the quote at the end? That’s how they kill frogs. Either watch it, or don’t.

13. C Vendel says:

Daniel,
    I have been watching your episodes for months, really amazing stuff, and actually inspirational, to keep eating sustainable foods, are you going to try noodling for catfish while down South??
    Chris in MN

14. Zonnah says:

I enjoy seeing how people in different areas do things, I loved it and thanks for sharing!

15. Elise R. says:

Great filmmaking!  You continue to expose me to things I didn’t know about.  Wonderful episode!!

16. DanielL says:

I used to catch lots of frogs when I was young. It wasn’t for food though. but I didn’t go out to hunt them. I just sat down and slowly swung setaria, then within a minute a  frog would try to eat it. and once they catch it, they wouldn’t let it go easy. So I could catch 30 or more frogs in a half hour.

17. Frogs worldwide are rapidly going extinct and the frog legs trade is a significant contributor to the problem:

It is extremely misleading for your website to bill itself as one of “sustainable eating” while at the same time endorsing the removal of frogs from the wild and thus contributing to the extinction of the world’s most rapidly disappearing animals.

Kerry Kriger, Ph.D.
    SAVE THE FROGS!
    Founder, Executive Director, Ecologist

18. Geoff says:

I agree that the multiple banging of frog heads on the gunnel is a little much, but then is there a better way?  Blunt force is pretty much the way that I dispatch all of the animals that I pull from the water..dungeness crab, salmon….etc.

@ Daniel and Mirra…Please keep up the good work!

19. Mitch Hensel says:

So simple and most likely sooo… good !

20. Gorgescrambler says:

Way to live the life! Wish I’d been there.

21. […] AboutContactMy BooksFAQShopApps Video: Frog Adventure By emilia | Published: May 30, 2011 Watch the Chef Daniel Klein of the Perennial Plate catch, butcher, and prepare bullfrogs in Arkansas… This entry was posted in Article, Food Adventure, Video and tagged daniel klein, frogs, The […]

22. brtsflk says:

puleeeaaaasse!
    why is it that the pseudo-civilized can’t just accept that they are different? stop trying to convert the good old boys away from their good old ways of living. damnation! some of you are total pitas (pains-in-the-ass) pimples on the ass of life. don’t go away mad. just go away.

23. brtsflk says:

yes, i did accuse the pseudo-civilized of trying to drag the good old boys down to their level. they don’t want to believe that someone could live the life that the good old boys have embraced. leave it alone. i promise that you’ll be allowed to go off to your corner to sulk and that the good old boys won’t bother you except perhaps to offer you some of their victuals. if they do, rejoice. you have a real treat coming if you only accept the offer.

24. Mini says:

I would love to have more vegetarian episodes- more vegetable focused recipes? Rather than just odd meat choices? Like highlighting some of the vegetables that are part of the cuisine of the area you are in? with a cool twist? Maybe Mirra can star with you in cooking something for us veggie devotees of your show!

25. Kevin says:

Mirra, the expression on your face speaks volumes! I’m sorry, but I laughed so hard when I saw your reaction…. :) Way to tough it out!

26. Sue says:

I was so waiting for you to say…Mmmm takes like chicken, but you never did.

27. Emil Tsao says:

Daniel drinks Natty Light!!!???

28. Oooo gritty! Kind of like killing a fish, in the end, although admittedly a tad more gory. Would love to try it that fresh cooked by a guy who does it all the time – I’m jealous! [and yes, I’m this behind. new baby is my excuse]

29. […] of the animals. All that said, with so many issues surrounding this food source, would you spring for a plate of frogs’ legs? Posted By: Jesse Rhodes — Agriculture & Farming,Around the World,Food Ethics,In the […]

30. Buffordr says:

really enjoyed this episode. Hunter is the son of my best friend who passed on some years back. We used to go frogging and take our boys on that river. I still get out there sometimes and I think of Hunter’s dad evry time.

31. Ally says:

Ever since watching this episode a few days ago, the manfriend and I keep saying “All animals do it, Mirra!” to each other – simply for the hilarity factor. Mostly because the phrase could directly translate to, “Do you WANT to die tonight?” We love watching. Every episode is poignant, thoughtful, and often very moving. We’ve been staying up long after our bedtime trying to get all the episodes under our belt. Keep it up!

32. […] moving. Be sure to watch them hunt for morels in Washington, visit kids farming in Portland or go froggin’ in Arkansas. It’s a great series that shows how food culture is different across the country and what […]

33. […] viajando pelo pa?s trazendo-lhe hist?rias sobre comida de verdade de toda a am?rica. Voc? j? viu sapos em Arkansas, Ouri?os do Mar na Calif?rnia e Grama Beef Fed , em Montana. N?s viajamos 21.000 […]

34. […] traveling the country bringing you stories about real food from across america. You’ve seen frogs legs in Arkansas, Sea Urchins in California and Grass Fed Beef in Montana. We’ve travelled 21,000 […]

35. Britt K Paul says:

!!! I’m from Arkansas and have been frog-gigging a few times, where in AR were you?  I just moved to NYC a couple months ago and have been really homesick this past week but watching this really made me feel better, believe it or not.  Thank you! I love what you guys are doing, hang in there Mirra! :) Death is a crucial part of life.

36. Maureen says:

Mirra you are such a good sport!