Episode 15: Farm to Market

The freshest, most delicious food you can buy is being picked cleaned and delivered to a spot near you.  What we forget is that it took a momentous amount of work to get those veggies to market.  This week’s episode takes the journey from Loon Organics Farm to the Mill City Farmers Market.  Watch this episode and the next time you think those peas are over priced, you may want to think again.

For a whole lot more in depth info about Loon Organics and the ins and outs of starting a farm, check THIS Study out.

12 responses to “Episode 15: Farm to Market”

1. Crystal says:

Love, love, love this piece. Great job! Adam and Laura from Loon Organics are some of the sweetest people and produce WONDERFUL vegetables. I can only hope their success continues as they deserve it.

2. Kevin Obsatz says:

Beautiful!

Sounds great, too!

3. I think this is my favorite post so far! I loved seeing the work that goes into a farm and the dedication of Loon Organics – all to bring us great food. I hope you don’t mind, I’m going to post this on my blog as I write about my CSA share all the time, now I want my readers to see what goes into delivering that share.

Thanks again!

4. Laura says:

Loved seeing the other side of being at the Farmers Market! I think this was one of my favorite videos so far too!

5. Meg Moynihan, MN Dept. of Agriculture says:

This show was so delightful that I forwarded the link to the network of 75+ Minnesota farm business management instructors who help farmers fine tune their business management skills. Laura and Adam are already skilled growers and are wonderfully candid about their experiences and decisionmaking processes. It’s not just a fun and fascinating video for eaters, but has lots of insights that can help agricultural advisors learn more about beginning and specialty crop growers.

6. Daniel Klein says:

Thanks for the comments everyone. This video has been a favorite and been one of the more popular, keep spreading the word.

Meg, Thanks for forwarding to all those farm businesses! I’m going to post the MISA link on the post right now. Please be in touch via e-mail as I’d love to talk about the MN Dept. of Ag. Thanks!

7. Kevin says:

Watched this on Cooking Up a Story – which led me here, and to the copious commenting having had some time to watch your other posts.

My heart goes out to folks like these, who by necessity fight the misconception of ‘cheap food’ [ie. tax payer subsidization of industrial farming]. Their model is the sensible one, and marginal profitability considering the risk and capital investment is just plain unfair.

8. Mike says:

Excellent post! I really hope that someday I can be just like these farmers. 20,000 a year doesn’t sound so bad when you are doing something that you love. I will post this one on my blog. I really am enjoying these videos.

9. What else can I say that hasn't already been said? Definitely one of my favorite videos so far. She is able to articulate something incredible. This really resonates with me. Thank you…

10. […] of my favorites are Episode 43: Bread/Pudding, Episode 15: Farm to Market, and Episode 2: Making Cheese at Star Thrower […]

11. Anonymous says:

~6:20 – 7:20 is incredibly insightful.  How are we going to get there indeed.

12. p says:

the lifestyle is a big deal. money gets better as you fine-tune your farming and marketing ways. and happiness is there the whole time.